Does the odor of something long forgotten waft through your kitchen each time you run water? Or do you recoil at the smell emanating from beneath your bathroom sink every morning when brushing? If so, you’re certainly not alone. Fortunately, there are some surefire ways to make these smelly drains disappear forever!
- Deodorize with Baking Soda and Vinegar – This is one of the oldest tricks in the book when it comes to unclogging drains and getting rid of nasty odors. Start by pouring 1/2 cup of baking soda down the drain followed by 1/2 cup of white vinegar. Let it sit for a few minutes before flushing it with hot water. The combination will help break down any organic matter that may be clogging up the system and causing foul odors.
- Try Cleaning with Boiling Water – If baking soda and vinegar don’t do the trick, try boiling a pot of water and slowly pouring it down the drain. The heat from the water can help break down any grease or grime buildup in your pipes, which can be causing those nasty smells. Just make sure not to pour too quickly or you risk overflowing your sink!
- Use Natural Cleaners – If chemical cleaners aren’t your thing, there are plenty of natural alternatives that can do just as good a job of getting rid of smelly drains. Try mixing equal parts lemon juice and white vinegar in a spray bottle then spritzing it around the edges of your sink or shower drain and letting it sit for 10-15 minutes before rinsing away with hot water. You can also use essential oils, such as tea tree oil or lavender oil mixed with warm water to clean out dirty drains naturally.
- Chemical Cleaners – If natural cleaners don’t seem to be enough, there are plenty of chemical cleaners available in stores that can help get rid of smelly drains for good. Handle these products with care and follow the instructions carefully before using them. They are potent, and if used incorrectly can cause harm to your pipes as well as injury or illness for you and your family members. Therefore, you must wear protective gloves while using them; open windows to ensure proper ventilation; and never mix different chemical cleaners!
- Call in a Professional Plumber – When all else fails, you can’t go wrong with calling in the experts! Professional plumbers have access to high-quality tools and materials that can discover the source of your stinky drain issue. Not only that, but they will be able to fix it quickly and permanently without causing any harm or damage to pipes within the process.
Miller Plumbing is here to tackle any plumbing issue you have, especially smelly drains! Our knowledgeable technicians and quality materials make us the perfect choice for getting rid of noxious odors quickly and efficiently.
Give us a call and breathe easy knowing you’ve taken the first step towards a cleaner, fresher home!