Learn How to Easily Fix Your Toilet Tank with This Step-by-Step DIY Guide!
There’s nothing quite as disheartening as starting a new day and noticing that your toilet tank has sprung a leak. But don’t despair! With the right tools, some elbow grease, and a little bit of know-how, you can have your cracked toilet tank repaired and ready to go in no time.
Let’s get started!
First off, it’s important to make sure you have the correct materials for the job. You will need:
- a porcelain repair kit, which contains epoxy putty, sandpaper, and sealant
- a pair of rubber gloves and safety goggles for protection
- bucket or container for collecting water from the tank as well as other debris
- an old towel (in case of any spills)
If you don’t have these items on hand, most home improvement stores should carry them.
Once you have all the necessary supplies, it’s time to start the repair process.
- Start by turning off the water supply to your toilet tank and flushing out any remaining water. Then carefully remove the tank lid so that you can access the interior of the tank itself. Make sure to use caution when handling both the lid and the contents of the tank; you don’t want any accidents happening while you work!
- Using your sandpaper, gently sand down any rough edges around the crack until they are smooth.
- Next, knead together equal amounts of each component in your porcelain repair kit (the epoxy putty, sealant, and hardener) until they form a thick paste. Once this is done, apply it directly onto the crack in an even layer using either your fingers or a putty knife; then leave it to dry for at least 24 hours before proceeding further.
- Finally, reattach your toilet tank lid with its screws and turn on the water supply once again—you’re good to go!
If possible, try to find out what caused your toilet tank to crack in the first place. Was it because of age? Leaks? Too much pressure? Knowing what caused it can help you prevent similar issues down the road.
With patience and some handy DIY knowledge, fixing a cracked toilet tank can be achieved in mere minutes by following the straightforward instructions above. All you need is to focus on detail and your clogged-up bathroom will soon be restored to its former, functional glory!
However, if you detect that your tank has sustained major damages or cracks, it is wise to ask for the assistance of a professional. After all, no one wishes to risk causing more destruction in their bathroom!
If you need assistance with plumbing, heating, or bathroom renovation services, Miller Plumbing & Heating is here to help! Our team of professionals is fully equipped and experienced in all types of repair jobs – from fixing up your toilet tank to any other home repairs. Get in touch today for a complimentary, no-pressure estimate so we can help get your home back in shape.